Cargo Tracking System (CTS)
Hello World!!! All cargo destined for Greenland must be entered into the CTS so that Battelle ARO staff and researchers can track cargo from its origin to final destination. CTS allows
- Researchers and support staff to generate shipping labels and packing lists for each package being sent.
- Support staff to check in cargo at designated “waypoints” en-route to the final destination.
- All participants to view the progress of each piece of cargo through the system.
Air National Guard (ANG) Transported Cargo
The vast majority of science cargo destined for Greenland uses ANG flights based out of New York. All cargo required for your project should arrive at Stratton AB in Scotia, NY no later than 3 weeks prior to the desired northbound ANG flight, must be entered into CTS and properly registered with Customs. Current ANG flight schedules are available in the Cargo Tracking System.
For current shipping guidelines and customs updates please refer to the below documents.
All staff and researchers are required to abide by Greenland import and customs laws. Review rules regarding importation of alcohol prior to travel. Rules are subject to change. Greenland Customs Information
Researchers are responsible for coordination and payment of cargo shipments to and from Stratton AB back to their home institutions unless special arrangements with the Battelle ARO team have been made. Please contact [email protected] to coordinate.
Other Cargo Transport Modes
Though not utilized as regularly due to either time or cost, other routes do exist to get cargo to Greenland. Contact your Battelle ARO PM for more information on how to plan for these modes.
- Commercial Vessel - Commercial vessels originating in Portland, ME may reach various locations in the summer months or longer pending ice conditions. Typical sail time is around 1 month from departure to arrival. This is a cost efficient way to send large pieces or cargo or shipping containers full of science cargo.
- Pacer Goose Vessel - Every June the annual resupply mission to Thule Air Force Base departs Norfolk, VA. NSF researchers may use this Defense Department mode of transport with advance planning through their Battelle ARO PM.
- Commercial Air - Though an expensive option, commercial freight options do exist with commercial carries such as FEDEX and DHL in partnership with Air Greenland. 2023 Greenland Commercial Shipping