Transportation to and from Alaskan Sites
Scientists are generally responsible for transporting their team members and cargo from Fairbanks or Anchorage to the airport closest to their field site. With NSF approval, once at the field site, Battelle ARO can arrange the air charter for local science support. Helicopters are the most common means of this local support.
Battelle ARO requires that all researchers using Battelle ARO chartered aircraft have emergency survival gear and a satellite phone on-board. You can carry your own equipment, or Battelle ARO can assist in providing these items.
Vehicles Available in Alaska
Battelle ARO provides research teams in Alaska with vehicles for science project use. Available vehicles are snow machines, all-terrain vehicles, and trucks.
Snow Machines and All-Terrain Vehicles
- For overall use at camp locations
- Provided for specific science groups, as directed by the NSF
- Available at Toolik and Prudhoe Bay, as directed by the NSF
- Camp pick up trucks for shuttle and shared use
- Dedicated pick up trucks for specific researchers, as directed by the NSF
For current road conditions throughout Alaska, please visit Alaska 511.
Toolik Field Station Air Support
Battelle ARO develops a helicopter schedule for aircraft based at Toolik Field Station each spring.