Skip to main content

 Battelle ARO Support Services may include:

  • Coordinating with and paying for services provided by Canadian research support organizations
  • Provision of field equipment (tents, satellite telephones, etc.) from NSF inventories
  • Logistics support (transportation, air support, cargo movement)
  • Field camp management and staffing assistance
  • Field safety support (safety training, remote medical service, and medical kits)

Research teams are responsible for all science-related equipment for their projects. Scientists are also responsible for providing their own cold weather and personal gear, including toiletries and comfortable clothing for non-working hours.


Scientists may need one or more permits to conduct research in the Canadian North, including field work located in Canadian Arctic Waters and the Northwest Passage. Please allow ample time for permitting processes. For territorial research licenses and more information on this topic, please go to these websites:

Researchers who are not Canadian citizens may need a work visa to conduct work in the Canadian Arctic. Researchers should contact their nearest Canadian consulate for more information.